I just love how stephanie demonstrates recipes on Joy of baking. I have started becoming a die hard fan of her recipes and this is one such. Carrot muffins are sweeter than the carrot cake with the addition of apple. Apple gives muffin a moist texture and added sweetness but the flavour does not dominate. Original recipe and the traditional carrot muffin has walnuts but I have chosen to add cashews which still gives a great texture and taste to the muffin. Adding cinnamon powder gives carrot muffins a spicy flavour but am not a spice lover so I have chosen to go without it. Altogether carrot muffins are outstanding in flavour with an amazing moist texture.
- 1/4 cup walnuts or cashews or nuts of your choice, toasted and chopped
- 1 1/3 cups raw carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- 175 gms (1 1/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 150 gms (3/4 cup) granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Optional)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) any flavourless cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degree C (350 degree F). Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line muffins cups with paper liners.
2. Pour oil in a bowl and add the eggs and pure vanilla extract. Beat using a wire whisk until the eggs are broken and combined well.
3. In a separate bowl sift or whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder (if using).
4. Add the chopped nuts in the flour mixture and mix well using a wooden spoon.
5. Form a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the wet ingredients into the well.
6. Using a wooden spoon mix just until moistened. Do not overbeat.
7. Add the grated carrot and apple and mix until everything just combines well with each other.
8. Once just mixed, it is a very thick batter and do not panic 🙂
9. Using ice-cream scoops spoon them into the prepared muffin cups and bake in oven for nearly 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one muffin comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. They are best just after 10 minutes of baking. They can also be stored in airtight container for upto 3 days.
Adapted from: Joyofbaking