A perfect chocolate sponge decorated with shards. The sponge is naturally the result of beating the egg whites frothy. The rich and dense chocolate flavour is mainly from the cocoa powder used, and better the cocoa powder better the flavour. The sponge is covered with whipped cream frosting and then decorated with chocolate shards giving it an elegant look. Check out how interesting it is to make the sponge, the whipped cream frosting and the contemporary chocolate shards.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (100 gms) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50 gms) dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup (120 gms) caster sugar*
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) cooking oil
- 1 1/2 baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
*Caster sugar can be prepared at home. Place granulated white sugar in food processor for 3 minutes until it is powdered well.
For Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup chocolate whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
For Chocolate Shards:
- 180 gms bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C (350 degree F).
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Line up a 9 inch round cake tin with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and get them combined well.
- Separate the eggs and place the whites in the bowl of your stand mixer or you could use a normal bowl with your hand mixer.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy. This might take nearly 5 minutes on high speed.
- Add the sugar and beat again until thick.
- Add the yolks and pure vanilla extract and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add oil gradually and beat again until thick.
- Remove the bowl from the beater and fold in the flour mixture, using a wooden spoon mix them well until combined. Do NOT over beat.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake the cake in oven for nearly 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from oven and cool it on a wire rack.
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- Pour the cream into the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes until the cream gets thicker.
- Add the granulated white sugar and beat on high speed until very stiff peaks form.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted, or you could melt the chocolate in microwave on high power for 30 seconds, take out stir and microwave again for 30 more seconds until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Using a rubber spatula spread the chocolate on a butter paper and leave in refrigerator for nearly 30 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, peel from the butter paper and break into uneven shapes.
- Place them on a butter paper again and refrigerate it again to harden.
- You could store the shards in the refrigerator for nearly a week until use.
- Place the chocolate sponge cake on the serving plate.
- Spread the chocolate whipped cream on top and slowly cover the sides of the cake.
- Smooth out the top and sides of the cake.
- Using a fork mark lines to form a pattern.
- Place the shards on the sides of the cake and place few shards in the middle.
- Your chocolate sponge cake with shards is now ready to be served.
Sponge recipe adapted from: Cakes & Cake Decorations, Nita Mehta.