- 1 ½ (200 gms) cups of flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ (60 ml) cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 (130 gms) cups granulated white sugar
- ½ (100 gms) cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) and line the muffin tray or around 15 cup moulds with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt thrice, to get them mixed well with each other.
- If using electric stand mixer, place the butter in the mixing bowl and beat well until light. (You could as well use a normal bowl with an electric hand mixer).
- Add the sugar into the bowl, over the butter and beat again until pale yellow, light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Add the pure vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour in 3 parts, alternating with the milk in 2 parts twice in between, beating well after adding each of them.
- After the final addition of the flour, beat until just combined. Do not over beat.
- Place the batter in the muffin cups evenly. Fill only 2/3rds of the cups.
- Bake the cake in the oven for around 12 to 15 minutes. Check until a tooth pick inserted into the cake comes out clean, or springs back when touched lightly. Do not overcook or the cakes will become dry.
- Place the cups/muffin tray in a wire rack to cool completely.
- Now they are ready to be served without icing, or frost the cupcakes with any favourite combination of frosting.
Adapted from: Joy of Baking