These are wonderfully rich cup cakes with a firm texture yet very spongy. The flavour of the cake comes from the flavour of the cocoa powder. Dutch-processed cocoa powder gives the cake a dense flavour and cooking chocolate added in the batter makes it rich. I have chosen heavy whipped chocolate cream to top the cake, very quick and simple to make. But coffee lovers can prefer to go for a mocha frosting and that goes best with chocolate cupcakes.
- 55 gms (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) boiling water
- 125 gms plain chocolate, chopped
- 100 gms (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 250 gms (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar*
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 175 gms (1 1/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
*Blend the granulated white sugar in your food processor for 5 minutes until the sugar is superfine.
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degree C (320 degree F).
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Line up muffin trays with paper liners.
- Sift or whisk flour, baking soda and salt.
- Put the cocoa powder in a heat proof bowl and add the boiling water over it and mix well.
- Add the chopped chocolate into the cocoa mixture and mix well until the chocolate is melted well without any lumps. Set aside to cool.
- Place the butter in the bowl of your electric mixer and beat until light.
- Add the sugar and beat until creamy and pale.
- Add the eggs one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts and the cocoa chocolate mixture in 2 parts, alternating both, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Beat after each addition, but do not overbeat.
- Remove bowl from beater, scrap down the sides and spoon the batter on the lined muffin trays.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the oven comes out nearly clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- 1 cup heavy cream ( Chocolate flavour)
- 2 teaspoons granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoon instant coffee powder ( optional)
- Place the cream on the bowl of your electric beater and beat well until thick.
- Add the granulated white sugar (and the coffee powder if using) and beat again on medium high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the frosting on a piping bag with desired nozzle, pipe the cup cakes and add chocolate sprinkles on the top.
Adapted from: Easy Cake Decorating, Love food