Rich chocolate cake is really rich, moist and has a lovely texture which makes it easy to slice. This forms a base for any outstanding chocolate cake, could be sandwiched with chocolate buttercream, covered with ganache but the loaf form gets a beautiful battenberg.
- 25 gms (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 100 ml boiling water
- 70 gms plain chocolate, chopped
- 55 gms ( 1/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125 gms (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 100 gms (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 160 degree C ( 325 degree F). Place oven rack in the middle of the oven and line a loaf tin with parchment paper and grease the same. Sift or whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Keep aside.
2. Place cocoa powder and chopped chocolate in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir until all lumps are removed and combine well. Set aside to cool.
3. In the bowl of your electric beater, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs and pure vanilla extract and beat well again.
4. Add the flour and chocolate mixture and beat just until combined. Do not over beat.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake in oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely before using it for frosting.
Adapted from: Easy cake decorating