Vanilla sandwich cake forms a base for any outstanding moist and buttery sponge. They are great for butter cream or cheese cream fill and cover, but the loaf form is best for adapting a battenberg pattern.
- 100 gms ( 1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 100 gms ( 1/2 cup) caster sugar*
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 100 gms (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
* Place granulated white sugar in your food processor and process until superfine.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degree C (350 degree F). Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven and line a loaf pan with parchment paper and grease the same. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Keep aside.
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of your electric mixer and beat well until creamy. This might take nearly 3 to 4 minutes on medium high speed.
- Add the eggs and beat well again, then add the pure vanilla extract and beat again.
- Add the flour mixture in 2 parts with the addition of milk in between the flour mixtures, beating well after addition. Do not overbeat after the final addition of flour mixture.
- Spoon the batter in the prepared tin and smooth the top using an offset spatula or back of a spoon. Bake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool cake in tin for 5 minutes then transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely for frosting.
Adapted from: Easy Cake Decorating