It’s been a while since I posted some recipes out here. These pancakes are worth taking a place, whole wheat and eggless. I have added jaggery for that flavour, you can add brown sugar in its place. They make quick and easy breakfast for kids and also worth filling up snacks/lunch boxes. Here you go..
- Whole wheat flour – 3/4 cups
- All-purpose flour – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery/ Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- Butter/Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Milk – 1 cup
- Buttermilk – 1/3 cup
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
1. If using jaggery, place jaggery with a tablespoon of water in a heavy bottomed vessel on low flame until jaggery melts. Filter and keep aside to let cool.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder and salt.
3. If using butter, melt it and cool.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour into it butter/oil, jaggery sauce/brown sugar, vanilla, milk and buttermilk. Mix using wire whisk until the whole mixture combines to form a smooth batter. Do not over mix.
5. Pour 1/3 cup batter into a nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Do not disturb the batter once you have poured it over, let it take its shape by itself. When the edges look dry and the top has bubbles, use a spatula to flip the pancakes. Let them cook for another minute or two, until golden brown on both sides. Remove from skillet and transfer to serving plate.
6. They are best served with honey drizzle, as pancakes are meant to be less sweet. In case you dont want honey drizzle, and need that added sweetness increase the jaggery to 1/3 cup.