Bake Along #103 – Hot Chocolate Spoons
Hot Chocolate Spoons are perfect for mini gifts / return gifts. It also comes ideal when we are on the roads and want to have that hot cuppa for that sudden craving.
I was blown away by just the fact of this idea. Well, I had the same thing what goes on in your mind, how is that spoon standing ? . It works beautifully and nothing can be simpler than the making of these hot chocolate spoons.
Recommended to use pure chocolate and a good quality cocoa powder. Compound does not dissolve and blend as good as chocolate. The urge of how the spoons would stand erect on these, you will have the same urge of stirring up the first spoon in a hot cup of milk, immediately after finishing with these
I printed out some hang tags which holds the method to use the spoons. They make a nice idea to stand in bake sale too. There are endless number of ideas in which you can flavor these up. Drizzle some caramel sauce over the chocolate after it is set. Set the caramel again and then wrap it up. These will be hot caramel chocolate. You can also add some instant coffee powder while melting the chocolate and that will be mocha. You can also get mint flavored chocolate available in the market. Break them into squares and insert them into the top of these chocolate spoons before they are dried up completely and these are mint chocolate. If you want just flavored milk, you can make flavored white chocolate and get the spoons done with them. Chilly powder also can be added to the melted chocolate and call it spicy hot chocolate. I really wish I tried one of these options.
Recipe inspired from: Cookies and Cups
- Dark/Milk chocolate or combine – 250 gms
- Icing sugar – 170 gms
- Cocoa powder – 30 gms
1. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. You can also double boil the same.
2. Sift together icing sugar and cocoa powder.
3. Add the icing sugar-cocoa powder mixture all at once into the melted chocolate.
4. Stir thoroughly until smooth.
5. Pour the chocolate mixture into chocolate molds which are deep enough. You can also use ice cubes tray. I have used mini muffin pans. Just set aside these cups in room temperature for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture thickens up a bit.
6. Insert spoons in the center of the chocolate that is setting slowly. Hold up for few seconds and gently remove your hands and they will stay in place. You can also use wooden ice cream sticks. Set in room temperature over night to avoid condensation issues. If you are in a hurry, pop up in the refrigerator to set well for 2 hours or more. I set a few in freezer in matter of 5 to 10 minutes. If you are setting them in freezer/refrigerator for longer than mentioned, then condensation will be higher.
7. Once they are set completely, gently pop out the spoons and you will have the chocolate spoons un-molded.
Wrap them in plastic sheets, tie them up with the hang tags and store at room temperature. Here is the hang tag that I made, you might have to resize to your liking. I also made a place card
Have fun!! Enjoy!!