Bake Along #92 – Baked Egg Toast
Once in a while, we deserve to serve hot breakfast that gets done in minutes. I used to enjoy the bread toasted on tawa with loads of ghee and the semi boiled egg which is seasoned just with salt and pepper.
So many evenings has this wholesome food put my hunger beast at rest when I used to head back home after school
While I was looking out for something nice and interesting to bake this week, these baked egg toast put me back to those nostalgic days and sounded more fun than it used to be.
It looks totally exciting being served, but the best part is, baking does not need any monitoring or you don’t have to stand by it while its being cooked. Set the timer to bake and you get back while its done
Recipe adapted from: Listotic
- Eggs – 2
- Sandwich bread slices – 2
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Cheddar/Parmesan cheese – 50 gms, grated
- Allspice – 1 teaspoon
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degree C. Line up your baking tray with butter paper/silicon mat. Grease with butter.
2. Use a teaspoon to press down the middle of each of the bread slices along with outer crust. You can use your fingers for better control. Make sure you don’t tear up the slice.
3. Spread out butter on the edges of the bread slices.
4. Mix both salt and pepper together and sprinkle half of it over the bread slices.
5. Transfer the bread slices onto the prepared baking tray. Break one egg into the depression of each egg.
6. Sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper on top of the egg.
7. Sprinkle the grated cheese on the edges of the bread slice. Also sprinkle the spices over the cheese.
8. Bake in pre-heated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Once done, transfer on to cooling rack and they are ready to be served.
These are crunchy and a nice cracker for an easy and a simple breakfast and also a wholesome food in the evening.
The same could be made with breaking eggs ahead and mixed with vegetables and they could be used to fill up the center of the bread slices and the rest of the recipe followed as is. This is a great way of including vegetables together with eggs.
Include spices of Indian version and also skip the cheese if you are not a cheese person. You can also make the center dent in different shapes to impress your kids